5/3/07

Set Up To Fail

So the Yankees fired the conditioning coordinator they hired. I think it is sad for all involved with Athletic Development. I cannot judge the gentlemen’s qualifications, however I do question his experience as qualification for the position he was placed in. This to me is symptomatic of a bigger problem. The people that hire for these positions have no idea what athletic development is about. They depend on the team doctors and medical experts for advice, the doctor are not experts on exercise. Reading between the lines stretching was continually alluded to. Stretching is part of the culture of baseball, but as an injury prevention tool as part of warm-up the positive effect is minimal. The General Managers, coaches, players and yes even the trainers can relate to stretching, so someone who wants to change that will immediately be ostracized. My no mistake I am not defending Mr. Miller, but he was put in a position to fail. For those of you who have never worked in professional sports, I know this is hard to understand. But after having spent significant time working in this environment, I know it is not about performance and excellence it is about money and entertainment. I know someone who was striving to win a Gold medal would not make this mistake.

3 Comments:

At 5/3/07, 8:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Vern,
Not for nothing, but dynamic stretching can be an important part of a warmup; however, from an outsiders perspective it seems static stretching is being used....

Todd Langer
www.balance2posture.com

 
At 5/3/07, 9:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been in the pro-basketball business for almost 8 years now... everytime I wan't to introduce something new or want to eliminate something outdated, I first seek out the superstars (the highest paid ones) in the team... I try to get them on my side by explaining the pros and cons of the things we are about to do. Once I get their approval, it'll be easier on my part to implement the "new" stuff I want to do.
Also having the head coach on the same page as I am greatly improves the success of any strength and conditioning/performance enhancement program.

DA

 
At 5/4/07, 6:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

DA
Good approach! I do not mean "seeking out the highest paid ones". I mean developing a rapport with players, then the education part. Once you have rapport with a player, they will listen to you...thus they will trust you...then they will do whatever you ask of them.

You can be the Einstein in the world of conditioning; but if you cannot get the "message" to your athletes, they will not believe or trust you.

Tee Cee

 

Post a Comment

<< Home